Your Boyfriend Got A What Now?





:: Java Jones ::

:: Roll Over Beethoven ::

:: The Things That I Feel ::

:: I Only Want To Be With You ::

:: Navy Blue ::

:: I Had A Dream That I Was A Beatle ::

:: My Boyfriend Got A Beatle Haircut ::

:: My Bonnie ::

:: Our Day Will Come ::

:: Ronnie ::

:: That Winter Weekend ::

:: That's Me - I'm The Brother ::


I was 7 when I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and that was it. I discovered my music. 7 is a very impressionable age. JFK was just murdered a couple of months prior, so it was all very heavy, ok?

Therefore, I am still incredulous when it comes to stuff like this. Released in 1964, well after Capitol Records had several bonafide hits on their hands courtesy these impetuous British bastards, the urge to discount their influence was so great, I'm sure it seemed a no-brainer to release this novelty record ("My Boyfriend Got A Beatle Haircut") in order to cash in on this "temporary" phenomenon. But to be fair, how could they have known? The record business today is much the same as it was then. Will there ever be another phenom like it? To me, there have been quite a few worthy bands since, but they didn't catch on with the mainstream to that degree, so probably not. And that's... ok.

Of course, I don't know shit about Donna Lynn other than the "facts" the liner notes provide: She was in a Broadway show with Maureen O'Hara called "Christine", and was then, for some reason chosen to be the face, voice and name behind these novelty songs. All by the age of 14.

"Java Jones" is a rendition of Allen Toussaint's composition, "Java", which as you remember was a huge hit for Al Hirt. This vocalized version takes a few liberties, to say the least. Nothing to do with The Beatles (thank goodness because, the only thing better than having that dream, would be to be a Beatle for real), and even more fucked up. There are lots of straight covers of contemporary hits like "I Only Want To Be With You" and "Our Day Will Come". All well done in a way, but the originals by the team of Jack Wolf and "Bugs" Bower are the big standouts (plus "Ronnie", co-written by Donna Lynn herself). Oh well, screw it. Here's the whole album.


Mike
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Friday, March 09, 2007 10:20:00 AM

Excellent choice!!! I have a couple scratchy 45's off this album, so I already know what I'm getting here.

..... bbb    



Friday, March 09, 2007 1:59:00 PM

great stuff! thanks!    



Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:40:00 AM

a very nice one, at least 4 great tracks, thanks a lot!

Michael Vee - MIlano

PS: I've just launched my blog "60s (mostly) Uncomped" w/ a selection of rare 60s tracks collected from various blogs (including yours, all bloggers named). Have a look at http://michaelvee.livejournal.com download the mp3s & let me know your comments!    



Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:46:00 PM

I remember the girls in the back of the bus singing to Blue Navy Blue . Now I know who sung it. thanks I feel nine years old again. I wonder what Karen is up to ?

thanks Keith    



Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:18:00 AM

Oh, wow! I never knew there was a vocal version of "Java"! I was a Al Hirt head back in 1964; "Honey In The Horn" was one of my first LPs. Thanks for this, and for a great blog!    



Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:10:00 AM

Looking at that cover, I am wondering if there was an answer record called "My Girlfriend Got A Really Big Afro."    



Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:57:00 PM

Does anyone have any info on Donna Lynn at all? Where she is now, what became of her, contact info, etc? Thanks!    



Monday, May 26, 2008 10:57:00 AM

Only a year or so late in joining the conversation. Wondering if Marc ever got an answer about Donna Lynn's whereabouts?    



Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:14:00 AM

I'd like to know more about Donna Lynn too!
Her "Java Jones" song of 1964 was one of the best for that year.

Seems she was Canadian and born in 1950.

There were (allegedly) two other versions of the "Java Jones" song -
one by "Donna Douglas" (PYE Record 7N.15654 ), and another by "The Chicks" (no info.at this stage).

I remember the song from 1964, but I can't remember which version we got here in Australia (I think it was Donna Lynn, but I'm not sure).    



Monday, August 04, 2008 7:38:00 AM

I love the Donna Lynn songs. And have made many attempts to obtainn them all. In fact, I already succeeded already in the ones on the LP.

However I still miss three titels that should exist:
Silly Girl(1964)
I'm Sorry More Than You Know (1965)
I (it?) was Raining (1967)

Has anyone ever heard these?

Best wishes, Machteld    



Monday, August 04, 2008 8:04:00 AM

Additionally A Japanese site mentions: DONNA LOVES JERRY on an album that is called: "Donna Lynn,Capitol and Epic Years"

Machteld    



Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:27:00 AM

Donna Lynn is my penfriend.She sends me CDs of Beatles cover versions.I send her rock candy from here in Blackpool    



Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:24:00 AM

THanks A lot    



Thursday, October 02, 2008 11:19:00 PM

That's amazing. If she's your penpal, then that would mean she's still alive and well!

Can anyone help with contact info, information on other projects she's done, or just a simple update on her life since... 1964?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!    



Monday, July 20, 2009 1:23:00 PM

Donna Lynn was, and I hope still is a great woman. I went out with her back in 1969, and I wish I never would have left her. Her full name is Donna Lynn Albano. She was adopted, I believe she was Lithuanian Descent. Prior to recording, she had a part on Broadway as a kid. The stress was to much for her and her age. When I met her, she still sang, sometimes at the "Ship Ahoy" in New Rochelle. But then, she no longer wanted music as a carreer. She studied cosmetology , hair dressing,styles, etc;
It's been 40 years now, and I miss her even more. If anyone does know where she might be,tell her Ed from the Bronx still loves her, and I never forgot our night in Central Park.    



Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:33:00 AM

Can you please send me the songs to swinging60ies@aol.com??? Thanks a million!!!    



Wednesday, September 02, 2009 10:31:00 AM

contact me at my email address. I'll try to make a CD from an album. doctorpoian@gmail.com

Ed    



Friday, February 26, 2010 10:50:00 AM

Donna if you read this, contact me.
doctorpoian@email.com
Ed    



Friday, January 06, 2012 10:46:00 AM

Well, it's 2012, still no word about Donna. Guess I'll never know. LU

Ed    



Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:24:00 PM

September 2012, still no word. Someone out there must know something. Her younger brother recorded with her on the song "I'm the brother". He must still be around. I still remember her red Chevy Ss 1968 convertible that I borrowed.    



Friday, September 19, 2014 1:13:00 PM

September 2014, Still waiting.
Ed    



Friday, December 04, 2015 7:59:00 PM

Was her brother Frankie Albano? He had a single on Capitol records subsidiary Tower Records in 1965....    



Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:50:00 AM

Yes, that would be him.
   



Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:53:00 AM

I don't know that her name is Donna Lynn Albano, however... her song Ronnie is copyrighted under the name Carmen Albano being listed as the pseudonym for Donna Lynn.    



Monday, January 18, 2016 10:19:00 AM

That was the mothers name.
   



Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:10:00 PM

gucci belts
adidas ultra
lebron 15 shoes
curry 4 shoes
moncler coat
michael kors outlet
off white clothing
converse outlet store
timberland
balenciaga
   



Wednesday, November 18, 2020 6:08:00 AM

hermes online
bape
canada goose jacket
golden goose sneakers
yeezy boost 350
off white jordan 1
supreme clothing
curry 7
supreme clothing
golden goose sneakers
   



Friday, August 12, 2022 10:27:00 AM

off white clothing
kobe shoes
jordan retro
yeezy 350
birkin bag
curry shoes
supreme hoodie
supreme
yeezy boost 350
golden goose outlet
   



» Post a Comment